Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Camped out at Hide-Away-Lakes campground in Yorkville this past weekend. Spent a couple of hours wading the Fox about a mile up from the Yorkville Dam on Saturday afternoon. Every damned spot that should have held smallies was loaded with carp. Needless to day, I caught nothing. Argh! Then, an asshole an a jet ski decided to buzz/murder me when I didn't wave back to him. This m*ther f*cker was going full blast through the entire area and waved at me. After I didn't wave back he turned around and came right at FULL SPEED while I was wading. He had little control of the ski and wound up grazing my back, just missing me full on. Never have I come so close to probably being killed. Then he was gone.

Anyways... the only action was at the small lakes within the campground. Alex caught several nice largemouth bass, biggest being about 15" and a beauty of a catfish. I fished the small lake for about an hour on Sunday morning and picked up a 13" bass.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Glad u made it out alive, thats terrible what happened, what a a-hole !

·
Registered
69 Posts
As much as I love my St. Croix, I would of used it like a freaking baseball bat and tried to get one of my treble hooks into his f-king eye. Then beat him senseless with one of them carps. What a jerk off.

Glad to hear you are ok. The nerve of some people. Nice fish.

At least you were not skunked on whole weekend. A small bass is better than no bass. Good going...

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
I went camping at that exact same campground a few years back, Does that pond still have a bunch of stunted bluegills...??

Huge cats in there too!

The first pond when you first enter the campground really held some bass,
i camped along the pond you were at and walked over to the other.

Same in my area jason a bunch of carp in the areas
I usually find alot of bass holding... Crazy

Nice job

George

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
What a jerkoff... guess that's why they're called the "wreck-reational" crowd a lot.

At least you were out fishing, and picked up a few.

I might have to take a trip down there to snag a few carp- my friend will eat them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The recreational, or "wreck-reational" boaters really suck sometimes. That's ironic...I was complaining to my girlfriend on Sunday afternoon about just that...told her I was going to start taking a load of rocks out with me. She asked why I even went, and I said that it's still fishing. lol. Even so, I prefer nightfishing. Aside from my desire to fish for big Cats, it keeps me away from most of the jet skis and idiots in 40,000 dollar boats who think that it's fun to make 2 and 3 mile runs on the Fox in 8 inches of water all afternoon.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Fished Yorkville a lot but never above the dam.
Nice smallie, cat and walleye water down stream.

Glad you didn't get hurt.
I've heard its nice above the dam but also that its loaded with boaters and wave jerky's.

Yorkville is ~40 minute drive for me.
Lets try below the dam and hook up with Ken G.

:D

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Sorry to hear about the moron on the PWC. Some of the people on those don't have any common sense whatsoever. Couple that with some drinking and you know what I'm talking about. The other problem is that many of them have no prior boating experience and they forget that they don't have any ability to brake. Glad you're okay.

·
Registered
341 Posts
What an A**hole.
I'm glad you made it out of there alive.
I agree with Basszilla, I love my Kistler rod but I would have bashed his head in with it. :evil:
Nice bass and cat guy's.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear sbout the near-death experience and the lack of smallies.

I have considered casting a rattletrap at baots or pwcs that have buzzed me. So far I have been able to control myself. We shall see how long that lasts.

I was out on a 1960 16ft wood inboard on Geneva last summer and some dicks in a 30 ft Baja buzzed my brother and I. Fortunatley there was a Police boat lying in wait between two piers. They saw the whole thing :D :D :D We idled over and watched the inspection/ticketing ensue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.