Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if you could have any rod and/or reel what would it be and do you already own it? I was recently having a discussion about this and thought it would be interesting to see what others really want to have if they could and to see if you already had that which you coveted.

Myself, it was the new St. Croix Legend Tournament Slingblade 8'6" musky rod. So after I got my bonus at work this year I decided to take it a step further and get this rod custom made with the same St. Croix blank. I should have it in a few weeks and I really look forward to using it. As for reels I don't really know that I covet any particular one, but the new Revo Toro looks sweet and I guess a Shimano Calcutta for musky would be nice.

So how about the rest of you hardcore fisherpeople?? :D

·
Registered
826 Posts
This is tough.

I think I already have my dream combo- 843 GLX and a Daiwa Zillion. It is perfect for pitching plastics and jigs. My 7' Avid MHXF and a Daiwa super-tuned TDX is pretty dreamy too. It's great for throwing brush hogs and chigger craws.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Hmmmmm anything?

Been fiending for a Megabass Super Destroyer Mephisto for a while now.

Or anything from the Megabass ARMS Living Legend line up....despite the fact they are a bit short for my taste.

http://www.megabass.co.jp/ARMS/

But those rods are far beyond my price point even before shipping charges.

More realistically I'd go for a Cumara or a Zillion rod over ANYTHING from Croix or Loomis...but that's just me 0=)

For reels either the Team Daiwa Limited Edition Zillion 7.3 or the Shimano Aldebaran mg7

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My dream rod/reel combo- one that has a record fish on one end, and me on the other! Manufacturer/brand doesn't factor in to this fantasy! :wink:

Otherwise, a Steez combo- just for the "cool" factor. I'd probably be to paranoid of breaking it to fish with it though.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Took me over 40 years ,but I finally own my dream combo :D

G.Loomis GLX mbr 782c rod with a Team Daiwa TDito reel.

Anything from Megabass would be insane lol thats a dream for another day :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Lip_Yanker said:
My dream rod/reel combo- one that has a record fish on one end, and me on the other! Manufacturer/brand doesn't factor in to this fantasy! :wink:
I agree, some of my nicest fish were caught on simple combo's. I have a new baitcasting combo and havent hooked up with anything yet. Im not really big on lavish setups unless its for pike/musky

·
Registered
308 Posts
RonG said:
Sometime wonder if I'm even an angler. These models are all Greek to me. :roll:
You are an angler. You're not a geek like a bunch of us. The enthusiast's line of products can catch the same fish as a Walmart special can. It gives people confidence to own expensive equipment. This is a dreamers thread mostly. I'd like to have it but I don't need it. I'd like to date a girl hotter than my girlfriend but I know what I can afford. Just kidding.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I know this is a dreamers thread but it is insane the cost of the gear some of you guys buy. I must have been living in a bubble or my old gear has been performing just fine. When I went to BPS and saw $400-650 reels I almost fell over. So dream combos are worth around $1200 holy sheet! I don't have the cheapest crap on the block but don't think I could ever bring myself to spend that kind of dough. I'm catching up to speed quickly but I didn't even know half the names listed a few months back. I certainly have no clue what $650 reel does over say a $150 (which I use to think is expensive). I know it's an addiction but I would need to get a second job to keep up. This is no rant if it's coming across that way. I'm just shell shocked at the cost of things these days.

so with all that being said the wood handles on the megabass arms (?) look pretty sick, any of the $600 reels look awesome. I would love to be able to use each of the combos you guys dreamed up for a day before I made my decision.

·
Banned
666 Posts
Thanks to connections my dream rod and reel are currently happening right now as we speak:

Reel = Quantum Tour Edition (uhh yeah, seriously)
Rod = Getting a custom build flippin' stick/froggin rod with my own specs made by this guy for absolutely free --> http://www.bigdadyrods.com

I was told the one rod itself will be running between $300-400 with labor-parts-components by the time all is said and done. :lol:
Yep- it's a dream for sure. I've been on the scout for a new rod, was looking everywhere because everything was like crap according to my specifications and as a result haven't found anything good. I was honestly about to drop 200-300 on a rod anyways and found out I'm getting it along with another for a different application for free!

Will be delivered sometime around April.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hoffman said:
I know this is a dreamers thread but it is insane the cost of the gear some of you guys buy. I must have been living in a bubble or my old gear has been performing just fine. When I went to BPS and saw $400-650 reels I almost fell over. So dream combos are worth around $1200 holy sheet! I don't have the cheapest crap on the block but don't think I could ever bring myself to spend that kind of dough. I'm catching up to speed quickly but I didn't even know half the names listed a few months back. I certainly have no clue what $650 reel does over say a $150 (which I use to think is expensive).
Hoffman,
I completely agree with you. I think a lot of the highest end gear is way overkill. I'd never criticize a guy for getting some tweaked out fancy rod and reel combo but I'd never pay those prices. And like several have said, you don't need these "dream" combos to catch fish. Personally, I couldn't see myself spending much more than $200 on a rod or reel. I have quite a few expensive combo but I've never paid full-price for any of them. For example, I bought my GLX for under $200 when I was able to purchase it at employee prices. Random thoughts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.