Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm learning...

Choose your general locations before you fish, eliminate those spots with fast search lure techniques, find a good location with active fish, fish slower and more thoroughly for both active and inactive fish.

Here's the question.

What's your favorite search lure and how do you use it?

I'm especially interested in search lures used in and around weeds.

Thanks.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Search baits in weeds- buzzbaits and frogs especially the Rage Tail. If I wanted to go a little deeper I'd throw a swimjig or a spinnerbait. I'm with Skunked about the Senkos being a go-to bait. Good fishing!

·
Registered
953 Posts
I don't use the typical search lures like spinnerbaits or crankbaits. I have been, and probably will always be, a finesse fisherman first and foremost. So like SkunkedAgain I typically use a senko or dinger as my main way to locate bass. Sometimes I use a drop shot in deeper water to locate the fish.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I like to fish structure....My "Go to" bait this year has been the Shaky Head worm around docks and shore line. So no search bait needed.

when I do use one it's a spinner bait or Rattle Trap

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would go with a frog or buzzbait to cover top.
Rattletrap, or crankbait to cover middle.
Senko, ribbontail worm, or creature bait to cover bottom.
Cover all depths top to bottom, try different colors. Nothing, move
to next spot and repeat.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'll start off with a spinner bait or chatterbait .
Then I like to move to the Senkos, smoke and purple for me.
Lastly when I need a fish, or a good size one, a big producer for me has been the shakey head worm. Work it around rocks, weeds, or docks. Even work it vertically around weeds in deeper water.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Fish seem to have different preferences in different lakes, and even different preferred baits at different times of the year. I define search baits as the original poster stated. I use them to cover as much water as possible searching for active fish. For me senkos do not fall into this category as they are time consuming to work.

In the early spring I like a rattletrap or a -1 to cover water. Later in the year I go primarily with buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits and slash baits to cover water depending on the fish preferences and what column of water I am looking to cover. On lots of lakes I fish this method primarily works during lowlight periods, but on the right day they can work all day. After the window closes on the effectivness of these baits I will slow down and try to pick fish off at a slower rate, ie the soft plastics. The benefits of using search baits during a good window is the opportunity to pick up a large number of fish in a short period of time. I apologize for the long winded post, but the strategy of when and where to use these baits has always interested me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.